In this section you will find links to relevant child protection authorities in each State or Territory as well as relevant legislation. These links are to be used as a starting point for sourcing information on child protection. We are not providing legal advice. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information, the Australian Youth Mentoring Network accepts no liability for any loss or damage associated with the use of the information on this page. Programs are advised to check with their local state authorities directly to ensure they are meeting the necessary legal requirements.
- National Child Protection Clearing House - is funded by the Federal Department of Families, Community Services and Indiginous Affairs. It provides specialist advice on the latest developments of child abuse prevention, child protection and associauted violence. Click here for more information.
- Child Wise - Is an Australian charity dedicated to protecting children everywhere. It has a particular focus on children in Austrlia, Asia and the Pasicifc with the aim of preventing the sexual abuse and exploitation of children. Click here for more information.
- Australian Council for Children and Youth Organisations INC (ACCYO) - ACCYO provides advice, training and accreditation to organisations accross Australia to assist them to safegurd children in their care. Click here for more information
- Child Abuse Prevention Service (CAPS) - CAPS aims to alleviate child abuse in all its forms by providing support to parents, carers, kids, families, those working with kids/families and other people in need. They believe that prevention is better than a cure. Click here for more information
- Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse - Compiled by Daryl Higgins, Leah Bromfield, Nick Richardson, Prue Holzer and Claire Berlyn and published by the Australian Institute of Family Studies - this report summarises the mandatory reporting of child abuse requirements of each State and Territory - click here for more information
- Relevant legislation - Children and Young People Act 1999 (ACT) s 159
- ACT Department of Disability, Housing & Community Services Office for Children, Youth and Family Support - Click here for more information
- ACT Police Department - Click here for more information
- Relevant legislation - Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998 (NSW) ; Commission for Children and Young People Act1998 (NSW) ; Children (Care & Protection) Act 1987 (NSW); Children (Care & Protection) Regulations 1996 (NSW); Children & Young Persons (Care & Protection) Act 1998 (NSW) s27.
- NSW Department of Community Services - Click here for more information
- NSW Commission for Children and Young People
Click here for more information and working with children guidelines
Click here for the Working with Children Check – Step by Step process
Click here for the 'Who gets a working with children check?' guideline
Click here for the Applicant Declaration form
- NSW Police Department - National records check - Click here for more information
- Youth Action and Policy Association (YAPA) NSW - Child Protection Guide to Policy and Practice - Click here to download the document
- Raise Foundation
Click here to view their Community Servcies Mandatory Reporting presentation (PDF, 473kb)
Click here to view their Working with Children Check presentation (PDF, 665kb)
- Relevant legislation - Care and Protection of Children Act 2007 (NT) , Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004 (NT)
- NT Working with children information - Click here for more information
- NT Police department - Click here for more information
- NT Department of Department of Health and Community Services - Click here for more information
- Relevant legislation - Health Act 1937 (QLD) s76K, The Criminal Code Act 1899 (QLD) ; The Commission for Children and Young People Act2004 (QLD)
- QLD Commission for Children and Young People and Child Guardian - Click here for more information
- Relevant legislation - Children’s Protection Act 1993 (SA) s11
- Department of Human Services Family and Youth Services - Click here for more information
- SA Police Department - Click here for the National police certificate application form
- Relevant legislation - The Family Violence Act 2004 (Tas)
- Tas Police Department - Click here for more information
- Tas Child and Family Services Support Unit - Click here for more information
- Tas Department of Health and Human Services Children and Families Division - Click here for more information
- Relevant legislation - Children and Young Persons Act 1989 (Vic) s64; Children Services Act 1996 (Vic) ; Children Services Regulations 1998 (Vic)s27; Working with Children Act 2005 (Vic) .
- Vic Department of Justice - Click here for more information on the Victorian Working with Children Check
- Vic Police Department - Click here for more information about police checks
- Vic Department of Human Services, Children Youth and Families - Click here for more information about child protection policy
- Relevant legislation - Criminal Code Act (WA)1899 ; Commission of Children and Young People Act2004 (WA) .
- WA Working With Children Check - Click here for more information
- WA Department of Child Protection - Click here for more information
- WA Department of Child Protection Mandatory Reporting System - Click here to enter